Wednesday, May 5, 2010

What Happened in Calgary

Huhhhhhh, where to begin. Of course I've been a big bummer lately, so I've been reluctant to write this one in fear of sounding like a negative jerk. But you've all been waiting so patiently, so here's what's been going down.

1. A couple days before I left, I managed to beat a bunch of other designers to the punch in order to make a flyer for the legendary Abstract Rude's Western Canada Tour. Anyways, after a few drafts and a bunch of hours, here's what we came up with:



I'm happy with it, so's he, success!

2. I ventured on a mission to surprise Riley in Calgary for his 27th birthday. He had no idea I was coming. I was flying out of Toronto, and it turned out my current fave band The Whigs were playing with Band of Skulls at Mod Club. Jimmy being the whatever type of guy that he is was down. Long story short, predrinks and walkin' doobs, 7.50 Heinekens, and the best rock show I've seen since Broken Social Scene with Isaac Brock.



For real, so tight, so energetic, pure balls out rock and roll. Better than the album quality sound. Check that shit, it's been helping me smile in a dark time.

3. I wake up on the first of many couches this week, and begin my mission to the airport, which thanks to the homey Sawtay's guidance, I made it to for 3 bucks instead of 50. Got to Calgary, surprised the shit out of my brother Munroe, and made it to the Debra show to surprise Riles.



When we caught up to him, he had a look of disbelief, like he was trippin out. It was gold. He knew then and there, that this weekend would be expensive. Debra was off the hook, full of energy and attitude. Sounding dope as ever.

4. We spent the next couple of days helping Kyle and Jennalee move, which is not our first choice in vacation activities, but let's be honest, anything with this crew is good times, and Kyle knows how to show gratitude. That night we enjoyed a drunken game of Risk which resulted in 2.5 hours of Munroe and Kyle rolling dice at eachother and Kyle coining the term "If I'm gonna lose, at least I'm losing to a bigger loser."

5. The next day we finish up moving in the am and roll to a Calgary Roughnecks lacrosse game. This was my first, and apparently wasn't that exciting, but I was bigtime entertained. Def worth it.



We walked maybe ten minutes from the game to Livestyle Annual Hip Hop Festival where we were treated to a 2 on 2 Bboy battle. And finally a perfectly flawless headlining set by the super legendary De La Soul. Shout out to the hipster hoola-hoop girls. I hope that shit catches on if it hasn't already!



6. That night turned into a shit show after a bbq and predrink featuring lots of old friends and some quality new ones. Lunchboxes, irish car bombs, the make a wish foundation, mustard thievery and middle eastern cuisine, oh yes. Good times.

7. Finally, Sunday we pull off the WORST game of frisbee of all time, resulting in the realization that Kyle will always be richer than the rest of us. He's the man, he deserves that shit.

We take Munroe to the airport, I missed him right away, that dude is the fuckin man. God bless him.

8. The next day I take way too long to get home, and it's taken me days to get my shit back together. Although I seem to be on the verge.

9. Really, it was the dopest time. Big thanks to Allana and Riley, Kyle and Jennalee, and Munroe. Some of the greatest on Earth. Also James is cool as shit.
I really needed that. Also, if you're reading this, thanks De La Soul.

10. Anyways stay tuned, I found some inspiration out there, and I'm working on putting it to page, canvas, whatever. But in case you wanted to hear about it, that's what went down.

I love you all. Check me out: please.



Big up to Griffin, even though he don't like me.

1 comment:

Harrigansturf said...

Hi Dear
This blog shows a many good feature............................
Kids Birthday Parties Calgary