Thursday, October 8, 2009

It's Gonna Be Another Long One



Sorry again for promising to update and then not actually doing it. It seems I can only do one every few weeks and then they end up being way too long. But here it is my friends...this is what I've come across in the last few weeks that has been life enhancing and generally worth looking into. Make sure you read this whole post, there's goodies at the bottom!


This past weekend, I had the good fortune to repeat last years' idea of checking out 2 shows, with Nuit Blanche sandwiched in between. Last year i saw Ratatat on Sat and then MGMT and Beck on Sun. This year I had the opportunity to see slightly more obscure but just as (if not more awesome) Yo La Tengo on Saturday and Anti Pop Consortium on Sunday.

I have to admit, I'm not as familar with Yo La Tengo as I'd like to be, or should be, but they were great. They had a huge range from folkish to super grungy, with each member doing an instrument musical chairs, of sorts. I would see them again any day. Also, two encores, not too shabby.



On Sunday, we got super lucky and got to check out a very under-sold Anti Pop Consortium (clockwise from left: High Priest, Beans, Earl Blaize and M. Sayyid) show at Lee's Palace. They were legendary, rocking old tunes and new tunes, as well as solo Beans tracks and Airborn Audio tracks. We got to chill with them all after, very chill group of dudes, looking forward to their triumphant return in February.






Heard of Maya Jupiter? Some of us may know her from her appearance on the Aceyalone and Ab album "Lab Down Under", but other than that, she's kind of hard to come by. Well, I tracked her down, and she sent me a bunch of tracks for DJing. She is sick as hell, and not to be slept on. So please do yourself a favor and check out one of the dopest MCs (female or otherwise!) on the planet. Myspace!



This Sunday is Major Lazer (Diplo and Switch) and Crookers at the Kool Haus. I'm not gonna miss it. You shouldn't either. Wanna see Diplo rock a crowd? Check out this short clip I took at Lollapalooza.



Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. This is their myspace, you will not be disappointed my friends. I wasn't. Choice track: "Home".



Seriously, still the album of 2009 thus far.



Now that's looking over a city. Chicago, I fuckin love you.

But hey, here's a goody. I was inspired to tackle Party Exercise 4. And now you can have it, trust me, best one yet.

Party Exercise 4 by BigMitch

1. Deadmau5-FML
2. Harlem Shakes-Strictly Game (Kids at The Bar Remix)
3. Miike Snow-Black & Blue (Savage Skulls Remix)
4. Reverend and The Makers-Silence is Talking (Alex Metric Remix)
5. L VIS 1990-Flux
6. Phoenix-Fences (Nujax Remix)
7. Medina-You and I (Deadmau5 Remix)
8. Metronomy-Not Made For Love (Astronomy Remix)
9. The Xx-Shelter (Themjeans Drum Edit)
10. Band of Horses-The Funeral (Buckmaster Remix)
11. Crookers and Kid Cudi-Embrace The Martian (DJ Mehdi Remix)
12. Mr. Oizo-Cut Dick
13. Kid Sister-Beeper (Fake Blood Remix)
14. Lykke Li and Kings of Leon-Knocked Up (Death to The Throne Remix)
15. Cut Chemist-They
16. La Roux-I'm Not Your Toy (Jack Beats Remix)
17. Friendly Fires-Lovesick
18. DJ Mujava-Township Funk (Diplo Remix)
19. Digital Manges-Manges (Sharkslayer Dub)
20. Steve Aoki and The Bloody Beetroots-Warp 1.9
21. Major Lazer-Pon De Floor (Cold Blank Remix)
22. Does it Offend You, Yeah?-Epic Last Song (Jack Beats Remix)


Enjoy it, and share it. And come see me on a Monday. Love y'all! Thanks to everyone for such inspiration!